By The Observer Post

Residents from both Hindu and Muslim communities have joined protests against the demolition of several mosques near the India-Pakistan border in Rajasthan, with locals alleging that the action was carried out without giving them adequate time to respond, PTI reported.

According to a petition filed before the Rajasthan High Court, around 12 mosques were demolished between June 18 and 20 in villages located within 15 kilometres of the international border in Barmer and Bikaner districts.

The demolitions were carried out as part of an anti-encroachment drive after the Union Home Ministry directed authorities on May 27 to take strict action against illegal structures within 15 kilometres of the international border. Officials said the structures had been built on gochar (pastoral) land.

However, residents claimed they received notices only shortly before the demolitions.

“They should have at least given us a warning. We would have complied or even paid a penalty,” Abdul Sindhi, a resident of Siyai village, told PTI.

In Barmer’s Kerkori village, local cleric Hishamuddin Sindhi said the demolished mosque had served the area for many years.

“We built it with great difficulty. This was the only mosque within a 10-km radius. Now it’s gone. Where will people go to pray?” he told PTI.

The demolitions have sparked protests in parts of Barmer, where members of both communities participated in marches under the banner of Sarv Dharm Shanti Sabha and submitted memorandums to the district administration.

“We stood with our Muslim brothers. When they stopped cooking in protest, people from our community provided them food,” local resident Harla Ram Meghwal told PTI.

Paradiya village sarpanch Sorta Ram Meghwal also questioned the manner in which the drive was carried out.

This story was originally published in theobserverpost.com. Read the full story here.