Ghurelal is survived by his wife and three children. He had been working as a sanitation worker for more than 15 years and earned a monthly salary of Rs 12,000.

By News Desk

In a tragic incident, a sanitation worker from the Dalit community lost his life after reportedly being exposed to poisonous gases while cleaning a sewer in Uttar Pradesh’s Varanasi district.

The incident occurred at Bhaisapur Ghat in Adampura village. According to a sanitation worker, Ram Babu, there was a complaint regarding a sewerage blockade in front of the Ravidas temple at Rajghat, the Mooknayak reported.

“Ghurelal, 40, and Sunil from the Machhodari area to Bhaisasur Ghat were summoned to clean the sewerage. Upon arrival, Ghurelal and Sunil descended into the manhole using a rope,” Ram Babu was quoted by Mooknayak.

This story was originally published in Read the full story here.